History

Cloyne Court Hotel was built in 1904 by the University Land and Improvement Company, which included several University professors, University benefactresses Phoebe Apperson Hearst and Jane Sather, future Regent James K. Moffit, Dr. Louis Lisser, John L. Howard, Warren Olney, Dr. Kasper Pishel, Louis Titus, John Galen Howard, the architect of the building and James M. Pierce, the later owner of the hotel. The building originally contained 32 suites that were not connected by common hallways, but instead connect by private stairways to the first floor public areas. That’s why the wings of the house do not connect on the second and third floors!

Cloyne Court was sold by the Pierce family in 1946 to the University Students’ Cooperative Association (former name of the Berkeley Student Cooperative), and operated as an all-male house. In 1972, Cloyne Court became a co-ed house.

In 1970, the USCA was forced to sell the property to the Regents of the University of California, upon the threat of an eminent domain acquisition by the University. Currently, Cloyne is leased to the BSC with a peppercorn lease.

After a series of drug-related incidents on the premises, most notably the overdose of a resident in 2010, the BSC’s Board of Directors voted in Spring 2014 to make Cloyne Court the Substance-Free Academic Theme House. The house was renovated over Summer 2014, and reopened in Fall 2014.

 Cloyne sometime around 1904